For the cake:
1/2 cup dark muscovado sugar (I used raw brown sugar)
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbs unsalted butter (melted)
200 g medjool dates (chopped)
For the sauce:
1 cup dark muscovado sugar
about 2 tbs unsalted butter (to top the pudding), broken into little pieces
2 cups boiling water
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
2. Generously butter a baking dish that has a capacity of 1-1/2 litres.
3. In a bowl, combine the sugar and the flour, making sure there are no lumps.
4. Pour the milk into a measuring cup and beat in the egg, vanilla and melted butter. Mix well.
5. Pour the milk mixture into the sugar and flour mixture and mix until just combined.
6. Fold in the dates.
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly across the bottom of the dish.
8. Sprinkle the 1 cup of muscovado sugar over the top of the batter. Dot with the 2 tbs of butter.
9. Pour the boiling water over everything.
10. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the cake is springy when touched.
11. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. When you cut into it, you will have a lovely sponge cake on top and the most delicious sauce on the bottom.
12. Serve with ice cream, yoghurt or creme fraiche while still warm!