coffee kick

This morning I got to attend an espresso coffee making class that came with my espresso machine which I got recently as a present. It was quite interesting though I've learned most of the grinding and tamping techniques from the DVD that came with my machine too, I was only really interested in the milk texturing aspect of the class. I think I've got it just about right but it's all about practice now.


I just got inspired to make something caffeine infused which I was then prompted to browse for some coffee baked goodies. I came across Su's recipe for coffee and walnut streusel topping muffin and it was perfect. I changed the proportions and measurements just a touch which I've included here.


Coffee and Walnut Streusel Muffin

Muffin batter:
1/2 cup less 1 tbs butter
1/2 cup less 2 tbs brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp favourite coffee powder
1 tbs hot water
1 cup self-raising flour
1/3 milk (I used soy milk to no ill effect)

Streusel topping:
1 tbs butter
2 tbs brown sugar
1/2 cup crushed toasted walnuts
2 tbs plain flour

1. Mix the streusel topping ingredients till they resemble coarse lumped sand. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg till well incorporated.
3. Mix the coffee powder and hot water in a cup and stir into the batter.

4. Alternate the flour and milk additions into the batter till you get a smooth consistency.
5. Divide the batter into 6 muffin moulds/tin lined with paper cases and cap the batter off with the streusel topping.
6. Bake in preheated oven at 180 C for 25 minutes till well risen and golden brown.


The coffee flavour was a good kick, very soft and moist cake, and not too strong which contrasted very well with the crunchy sweet walnut streusel topping.

No comments: