2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 large very ripe bananas, mashed (or 4 regular ones)
1 cup slivered almonds (or your favourite nuts crushed coarsely)
1. Grease and flour loaf pan (or muffin pan).
2. Stir & toss together flour, salt, baking soda then set it aside.
3. In a large bowl combine butter, sugar, eggs and bananas until well blended.
4. Add the combined dry ingredients until batter is thoroughly blended.
5. Pour into loaf pan or muffin tins.
6. Sprinkle with the streusel topping.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180 C for 60-70 minutes for loaf pans, 15-20 minutes for muffins.
8. Check center for doneness with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it's ready. Remove from oven then let cool for 5 minutes before inverting.
Streusel Nut Topping
6 tbs brown sugar
5 tbs plain flour
4 tbs butter
2/3 cup chopped almonds (optional)
In a small bowl, combine the sugar and flour. Then using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the almonds. Sprinkle this on top of the loaves or muffins before baking.