sour cream tea bread


I decided to try out this sour cream tea bread recipe just to use up the last tub of sour cream in the fridge. I made two small loafs on two different days and I halved the original recipe to accommodate the small sized tins. The first time I made it, they tasted wonderfully but I had made the mistake of mixing the sour cream and flour together instead of what the recipe called for alternating the mixing. The batter turned out pretty stiff and had a bit of trouble pouring and smoothing the batter into the loaf tins. However, they still turned out beautifully browned and smelled heavenly in spite of the ugly crusty appearance.


I made some vanilla glaze to make the cake look more interesting which involved mixing about 5 tablespoons of icing or confectioner sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence, and 2 tablespoons of milk. The glaze came together quite easily but if left alone for a while, it became stiff again so be careful about that minor detail. If you want it a bit liquid, just add a bit more milk. I drizzled the glaze on top of the cooled cakes using a knife.


The next day, I was more diligent in the mixing and came out absolutely perfect, appearance wise and taste wise too. I did something a bit differently from the recipe on those two occassions, which was to toss in a thin layer of chocolate chips after pouring a thin layer of the batter at the bottom of the tin and then followed by another layer on the top to cover the chips. The recipe was halved again as well. So in all actually, combined from the two days, I made one whole cake from the original recipe that called for it.


The result: my friends liked them! Yay! The batter came together incredibly fast at about ten minutes and I only sticked the cakes in the preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 50 minutes because they were browned quicker than I thought and I didn't want the cakes to be too brown and tough on the inside. The cake was fluffy, light, airy and just so tasty even without the chocolate chips I imagine. I would like to try mixing in some roasted almonds or even berries to see how it will turn out.

No comments: