chop, chop, bake, bake

So here it is. The dawn of a new blogera. After being a foodie fanatic and bakery blondie for the latter years of my life (two to three years at most) I've finally decided to chroniclelize all future endeavours of mine in this gastronomic journey that is cooking.

This came about I suppose partly due to my impulse purchase of 'Cook with Jamie' cook book and my first essential cookery bible. You can relive the experience through this recent blog post in my daily blog.

And to culminate and christen my first cooking expedition here is the result of last night's dinner.


It's a fairly traditional Japanese one meal dish called Oyakodon which I've been meaning to experiment with in a long time and finally had the chance to do so last night. There are variations to this dish and mine included some leftover beef and tuna (sounds like an odd combination but the flavours really came out quite interestingly well) while I excluded mirin from this dish which its quite essential but I didn't have it. I'll remember to get it from the nearest Asian grocery store soon.

1/2 cup rice
1/4 cup of hot chicken stock or broth
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 to 1 tsp sugar
4 oz thinly sliced chicken meat, skinless and boneless (or use beef or pork to your liking)
1 onion (sliced thinly)
1 egg

1. Cook the rice as per instructions.
2. Heat up the chicken stock or broth in a heavy based sauce pan till it comes to a boil.
3. Add in the soy sauce and sugar. If you have mirin feel free to add in 1 tsp. Lower the heat to a simmer.
4. Toss in the chicken/beef/pork to the simmering broth. Meanwhile whisk the egg in a separate bowl.
5. Gently pour the egg mixture on top of the chicken. Do not stir. Sprinkle the sliced onions on top.
6. Once the sides of the egg start to firm up, the chicken should be cooked by now (3 minutes), give it a little stir.
7. Have your steaming bowl of rice ready and top it with the chicken egg mixture. Sprinkle with fried onion or garlic if you wish. Yields one dish.

And there you have it. Easy as pie. Or should I say oyakodon?

Anyway watch out for more cooking and foodie posts in future. Have a go at it and do comment if you feel like there's something not right with it, an improvement would do it good, or you just think it's crap.

Till next meal.

No comments: