cheesed up

I did say I'd be posting my fave risotto recipe soon. Considering I'm supposed to be studying right now, I'll have to try to make this a short one. This recipe yields two dishes.


500 ml chicken stock (keep warm)
160-200 gm arborio rice
2-3 stalks of celery finely diced
1 small onion finely diced
60-80 gm of any two or three cheeses of your liking
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1. Heat up a heavy based large pot over medium to high heat.
2. Heat up the olive oil in the pot and toss in the diced onion and celery.
3. Fry it till it becomes soft and fragrant but do not let it turn brown or burn.
4. Pour in the arborio rice and stir it in together with the aromatics for about a minute or so to coat the rice and toast it.
5. Pour in a ladle full of chicken stock and stir it around till the stock has been absorbed into the rice. This should take about 3-5 minutes. Proceed with another ladle of stock and continue to stir till all the stock has been absorbed and used. This process should take about 20-25 minutes.
6. Once the rice looks soft but not mushy or gluggy and easy to work with, turn the heat down to low and toss in the roughly chopped or sliced cheeses.
7. Stir it all around till the cheeses have been incorporated fully into the rice. You can add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste at this point.
8. Dish the risotto out into two plates, grate some Parmesan cheese over it and dig in!

My recipe is really a bastardised version of Jamie's one as I don't use wine in it and I don't even know the names of the cheeses that I use. Also, this is not for the faint of cheesy hearts.


Oh the fried chicken drumstick there, it's been marinated in whole grain mustard overnight and simply fried in a shallow pan till brown and cooked all over. It was yummy as I did not think that the mustard marinate would work. It'll definitely be a repeat and I'm too embarrassed to put up the recipe for it.

No comments: