Jacques Torres Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp coarse salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped bitter chocolate
1. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugars together until very light. Add egg followed by the vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them.
3. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.
4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 180 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
4. Using a teaspoon, roll dough into 1 inch balls and lightly flatten the dough onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day.