a simple twist

Alright, I've just been too complacent and busy at the same time to do much blogging much to my chagrin but here I am again after all.

I've been trying out a few new recipes for dinner for my brother and me and came out quite successful on two separate occasions.


The first is a really simple baked salmon seasoned with salt, pepper, herb salt, and drizzled with some olive oil. I placed some lemon slices on top of the salmons as well for that little citrus flavour in addition to the coriander leaves placed dutifully on top of the salmon pieces to be roasted in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes till juicy, tender, moist and absolutely delicious. Even the brother who doesn't like fish that much quite thought it wasn't half bad which is already a compliment in itself.


Another quick bake dish is a new spin on the traditional spaghetti and meatballs dish. Get some mince meat and mix them up with some minced garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, herb salt and bind the meat together with some egg wash to shape them into little meatballs. I made the mistake of not rolling them in breadcrumbs which is what you are supposed to do before frying them because I was a lazy arse and didn't have any in the pantry. The meatballs ended up becoming a rather big mess in the pan and made even worse when I added the tomato sauce midway cooking them. I persevered and managed to retain some of the shape of the meatballs but I was still upset that they sort of disintegrated halfway cooking them.

While the meatballs and sauce is cooking, boil a pot of water and cook your pasta. I had enough fettuccine pasta for the two of us left so I used them instead of the usual spaghetti. Towards the end of the cooking time for the meatballs, add some dashes of salt and black pepper to taste.

Drain the cooked pasta and place them in an oven safe ceramic dish. Top the pasta with the meatballs and sauce and toss lightly to ensure that the pasta is sufficiently and evenly covered in the sauce.


Now for the fun part. If you're a big cheese lover like me, go crazy and have a go at using whatever cheeses you like and have. I tore up some remaining boccocini, shaved parmesan, chopped brie, and sharp cheddar. Just sprinkle the cheeses in liberal amounts all over the pasta. Don't have to be neat here.

Place the dish into the preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.


It'll come out smelling cheesy and gooey. Just the way I like it!


Anyway if you'll excuse I have some catching up on work to do. Hopefully I can make some time to whip something up with the name 'crumble' and 'apple' or 'pie' this weekend.

No comments: